Free Advice: On Falling in Love - Part Seven

Tuesday


"This above all; To thine own self be true".
 William Shakespeare, Hamlet, circa 1600

Great advice that remains relevant even after four-hundred years. The challenge for me has been in remaining true to myself consistently. It takes practice. As I mentioned earlier, life is many times "grey" and that has been my stumbling block. I have learned that being true to oneself requires focus and concerted effort. 


In my relationship with Doug, I realized early on that I could be setting myself up for heartbreak.Being true to myself allowed me to accept that fact, prepare for the potential risks and carry on.

Our friendship flourished and within a few months, we were 'a couple'.

But, the divorce was not yet final. Sticky. Did I want to be a factor in preventing him from reconciling with the mother of his children?

I had decided to be true to myself (again) and sincerely offer him an 'out' from our relationship. The offer would remain on the table until the divorce papers were signed. At any time, should he choose to dump me, I made it clear to him that I was a big girl and able to deal with it. Secretly I admitted to myself that I would most likely curl up in a ball and cry for days while watching The Lifetime Channel but at the same time, I was confident that eventually, I would be just fine.

I had fallen in love. Love: Part 8

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!