The Fluffiness Factor

Friday


Entering this world at a hefty 9 lbs 6 oz, I have always been chubby. Like so many of my generation, good behaviour, good grades, outstanding accomplishments and/or achievements were rewarded with food. Food was also used to treat a broken heart, a cut or scrape, hurt feelings and/or disappointments.

My parents were raised during The Great Depression and experienced the hardships of poverty that I have never known. Feeding their four children well was a responsibility they did not take lightly. We had never gone hungry and they took great pride in that. As children, we were not only encouraged to eat, but we were also celebrated for having good appetites. Portion control was never an issue and there was always more than enough food available.

Which brings me to what I will call “The Fluffiness Factor”. It has trailed me my whole life and without doubt, will continue to stalk me.

My ‘Battle of the Bulge’ began as a teenager when I learned that an effective way to lose weight was by not eating – at all. That didn’t last long.

As a young adult I became a walking reference guide on any diet you could name…Atkins, Weight Watchers, The Scarsdale Diet, The Cabbage Diet (not a crowd-pleaser), Protein Shake diets, The Grapefruit Diet, The Rice Diet and the list goes on…

Once, while attending a Weight Watcher’s meeting, in the 80’s, my friend Vicky and I settled into our chairs and waited for the leader to begin her lecture. We really didn't want to be there in the first place and meeting room was hot and crowded.

The leader began our class, dramatically… “LADIES, YOU are not chunky, YOU are not pleasantly plump, YOU are not chubby. FACE IT ladies, YOU are FAT.” With that, Vicky and I looked at one another, convulsed in a fit of uncontrollable laughter, headed out the door and directly to a nearby Hamburger joint where we managed to salve our feelings with a cheeseburger, fries and a coke.

Today, I have four different dress sizes hanging in my closet, diet books and plans continue to entice me (Body for Life, The Flat Belly Diet, You, on a Diet, The Fit or Fat Diet, Eat This, Not That, The Six Day Mini Makeover Diet) and I’ve joined and rejoined Weight Watchers so many times that I don’t need to attend the ‘orientation’ meeting any more.

Something has got to give. Is it time to “Embrace my Fat”?

Recently, my friend JoBeth has encouraged me to do the White Rock Marathon with her. Well, not really the 'whole' marathon, and not 'running' it. We'll be walking it and it will only be a 1/2 marathon but I think we get a T-shirt with registration. Cool.

Anyway... I'm in training.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Heather said...

Congratulations and good luck. I've done the mini-marathon (1/2 marathon) here in Indianapolis a couple of times. I also walked it as I'm not really a long-distance runner. Well, I'm not really a short distance runner either, but whatever. My first time it took me JUST under 4 hours and I was sure that the chase bus (18-minute mile pace) was going to pick me up. Luckily I was able to jog enough to get a few miles ahead of it.

Good luck and keep us posted!