...and no one's getting fat except Mama Cass

Wednesday

One sunny afternoon in 1995, while driving around with my BFF, Rob, we picked up some sandwiches from a local deli and was on the way to deliver them to the hospital, when out of the blue, I had to ask…”Rob, Do you think Mama Cass died after choking on a ham sandwich?”

“I thought it was a chicken leg.” Rob answered.

We pulled over.

Suddenly, we were both struck with the absurdity of the question. How would he know? The correct answer would be purely speculation on both of our parts but I felt strongly that the question had to be asked. After all, the rumour had been circulating for years and I felt a need to put it to rest.

After composing ourselves, Rob and I continued on our errand.

The Mamas and the Papas had always been one of my all-time favorite groups from the mid to late sixties. Comprised of “Mama” Cass Elliott, Michelle Phillips, Denny Doherty and John Phillips. The songs that I will always hold close to my heart include ‘Monday, Monday’, ‘Dream a Little Dream of Me’, ‘I Call Your Name’ and ‘Words of Love’ to name but a few. I get all misty-eyed just thinking of them.
As we made our way to the hospital, I blurted...

“And another thing … where does that skinny Michelle Phillips get off singing, “And no one's getting fat except Mama Cass”? (referring to the lyrics of their hit song "Creeque Alley") I mean, c’mon – give her a break. Even if Cass agreed to the lyrics, a true friend would refuse to sing them.”
“Bitch.” Rob responded.

We pulled over again.

Why I was fixating on Mama Cass is beyond me but I think I had a valid point. Color me overly-sensitive but just because Mama Cass was overweight, it didn’t give the band any reason to capitalize on her girth by ridiculing her forever with a catchy tune. Adding insult to injury, it is said that she died alone in a hotel room in London after choking on room service. Would that have been reported by the tabloids if Mama Cass was a petite size 8? I don’t think so.

The fact of the matter is that Cass Elliott sadly died of a heart attack at the age of 33.

My BFF, Rob died a few months later, at the same age. But that is another story.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Clare said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog on my SITS day. I am sorry to read about the loss of your friend

Heather said...

Oh, you do it to me every time. I'm merrily going along reading your blog post and then my heart nearly gets ripped out of my chest.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend at such a young age. Just a kid, really.

Haleigh said...

It's Denny Doherty, and Michelle had said that she didn't think Cass was going to like it, but she did, actually loved it, and I quote that. It was John who came up with it anyway. Gawrsh, people I'm fifteen. Pick up the pace. xD

But yeah, I feel the same way. My favorites are Nowhere Man, Dedicate to The One I love, Go Where you Wanna Go, Once Was A Time I Thought and Midnight Voyage. I feel so GREAT AND FULFILLED AND ACCOMPLISHED when I hear that part in Midnight Voyage when Cass goes "Waoooh oh waooh!"

IT'S FREAKIN' BOOTYFUL!!! >='D

joanyspot said...

Haleigh - Thanks for the spell-check on Denny's last name. Good to hear that a teenager shares the love of the music.

Haleigh said...

Well, I do so love getting praised. :3 So merci! And that picture up there where it looks like it's been rolled and bread crumbs, baked until a crispy golden-brown and served with a side of melted butter is one of my very favorite photos. Although I love the one where they drank from John's hat. :) OH BUT I RAMBLE.

I think I am turning more old-fashioned as I go...I'm even considering writing a blog. DEAR LORD WHAT GREAT ILL PLAGUE HAVE I CAUGHT?

Nah, but your's is okee. I just wish I knew the skills of literature...I mean I've been considered for advanced literature classes, but I'm just so lazy...So I prefer sketching instead.

Oh and I'm a grammar nazi. Tis what I do. ;)

joanyspot said...

Haliegh - You are a hoot! If you wrote a blog - I'd be a follower!

Haleigh said...

Well then. I just may start up one such blog...Only. I'd need a topic.

But yeah, I kinda like your's not really in my interests, but the fact that I've read it is a start, no?

Unknown said...

Nice post. I share your concern over Cass Elliot and the lyric "...and no one's getting fat except Mama Cass". Just to put your mind at ease though, the lyric was never meant to be offensive. It's original meaning was to infer that Cass Elliot was getting far richer from the band and her solo career and appearances. Even though it sounded harsh regarding her weight it really was in reference to her fame and riches. She was a beautiful woman. Sorry for the loss of your BFF. Hope life is treating you well.

Anonymous said...

Cass Elliot was the one with all the talent. That group would suck without her. She carried them all. Michelle had sex with everyone. John was doing his daughter and every drug down to man. Denny...he should have married Cass. Too bad she left us so soon. She would have still been singing to this day. I hope her daughter sees this.

Unknown said...

Very dissapointed with Michelle and Denny agreeing to sing ..No ones getting fat except mama Cass ....They should have refused if they were true friends ..and as for John Phillips he should be ashamed of himself