Chaos

Thursday


Chaos. It all started with Sandra Bullock and Jesse James...


Since then, I have had several girlfriends come to me with relationship issues, anxiety reactions and/or feelings of depression. 
It seems to me that a little 'universe shift' is underway and I feel a need to address it...

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm no 'Oprah' but there are a few things that I know for sure...
- When in doubt, ask yourself... "Am I better with or without him (...her, it)?"
- Taking prescribed antidepressants does not mean that you are crazy.
- Creating a 'vision' for your future can create a self-fufilling prophecy.
- Forgive yourself for past mistakes. "When you know better, you do better." Maya Angelou
- Make a conscious effort to encourage good people to come into your life and actively encourage      negative people to leave it.
- Be nice. "Niceness does not equal stupidity" (or something along those lines). Cher
- When you hear the wind whispering through the leaves of the trees, feel embraced by your friends    and family who have passed away.
- At the onset of an anxiety attack, try inhaling through your nose, to the count of..."one, one      thousand /two, one thousand/three, one thousand/four, one thousand" and then exhaling through pursed lips to the count of ..."one, one thousand/two, one thousand/three, one thousand/four, one thousand. Do this 4 or five times. This exercise helps to prevent full-blown panic attacks. It really works. Been there.
- Snapping a rubber band on your wrist is a helpful way to stop obsessing about things you cannot control before you let your mind get out of control..
- Reach out and help somebody out, anybody. A simple phone call to somebody who doesn't get a lot of phone calls would do the trick. It will take your mind off of things.
Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

catherine aldersey said...

Hi Joanie,
I love reading what you have to say, and it is time I told you so! I'm Australian, and I found you by chance - don't know how but am so glad I did. I appreciate your down-to-earth style, your sensitivity, and how very funny you are.
Thank you so much, I get a lot from your blog.
Best wishes,
Catherine

joanyspot said...

WOW. Catherine - Thank you!

Leslie said...

I love the last suggestion here especially - it's a great reminder. It seems so hard, when you're in the thick of your own anxiety/obsessions/downness, to think about other people. But with a reminder, it's so much easier. I'm going to write it down and tack it on my little "inspiration" board. Thank you!