Audiophilia

Wednesday


They say that the first step in recovery is to admit that you have a problem.

I am an audiophile. There. I’ve said it.

Ear buds in place, I spend many of my waking hours listening to audio-books.

It began innocently enough as a way to multi-task… why not listen to a book while doing mundane jobs like raking leaves, housekeeping and laundry? Kill two birds with one stone and all that. Listening while exercising, driving, grocery shopping, cooking and of course, travel soon followed. Advanced listening included listening during dental procedures, doctors exams and while flipping through magazines, now there's a challenge.

When I started listening to books while doing nothing else, it was somewhat disconcerting for 'Mr Something'. “Joanie, what’s so funny?” (he said) he asked me. No answer. “Joanie” he (reportedly) asked again. No answer. “JOANIE!!!” he hollered. “WHAT!!!?” I hollered back while removing my fabulous noise blocking ear buds.

Now he knows that if I’m sitting quietly, giggling or gasping to myself, I have not lost my mind, I’m just listening to a good book.

The secret to listening is a good plot and a great reader.

I may never kick this audio-book addiction.










The Help
Author: Kathryn Stockett.
Narrated by: Jenna Lamia, Bahni Turpin, Octavia Spencer, Cassandra Campbell
This is a great selection for those who have never listened to an audio-book before or have tried but had trouble concentrating.
Read by four absolutely excellent narrators and set in the racist and violent 1962 Jackson, Mississippi, The Help surrounds 'Skeeter' a young white woman who recruits a number of black maids to tell their stories of working for white families and raising their children. Secrets, hypocrisy, mystery, love. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!