The Senior Discount

Wednesday

Most of us have seen this picture of two women before. Is it a picture of an old woman or a young one? I initially see the young woman and really have to squinch to see the old one.

At what point does one throw in the proverbial towel? Is there a moment when one says “Ah, what the hell – I’m not dying my hair anymore, I’ll eat whatever I want and ‘pass the Cheeto’s please”? When does bending over to shave your legs become more hazardous to your health than smoking? Does one continue “The War on Aging” forever?

I’ve been ‘covering my grays’ for about twenty years now and I’ve got to tell you, it’s not the only thing that’s getting a little old. So, I’ve been toying with the thought of ‘going au naturale’ and embracing my inner grays but here’s the deal - twice in the past year, I have been asked if I qualify for “the senior discount”. Well hell. I’m fifty-three years old and each time, the senior discount (I just had to ask) applied to those who were over sixty. It’s like being asked if you’re pregnant when you’re carrying a little extra weight.

A word of advice to clerks and cashiers everywhere…JUST LET YOUR CUSTOMER ASK FOR THEIR SENIOR DISCOUNT – Believe me, if they qualify, they will ask.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Perle said...

I'm going to keep coloring. I actually tried the natural, but since my natural color is jet black, the contrast was more than I could take. Thank and my mother, insisted that it made 'her' feel old and I should cut it out.

Heather said...

As I age, I think my thoughts on this have changed. When I was younger, I used to think my mom was vain because she colored her hair (to cover the gray). Then when I went for 10 year high school reunion, I decided to get some highlights just for fun. I hate to admit it, but I LOVED them. My hair is just a mousy dark blond/light brown color, so the highlights made it much more interesting.

A few years ago I started to get some greys (at 30!) There are only a few and since my hair is pretty light, I can fake them as highlights.

Ok, so long story short, I think what you do should be dictated by how you feel as a result? For some people (me) grey hair means I'm getting old and I don't feel old at all. Whether I highlight or not, I'll still feel be same age, but somehow looking in the mirror and not seeing greys keeps me from worrying about getting more of them. Right now that's worth it for me!