Free Advice: On Falling in Love - Part Five

Sunday

I wasn't convinced that having lunch with him was my smartest move. So far, I only had his work phone number and we were having lunch on a weekday (two bright red flags) but, he talked of his relationships with his three sons a lot (green flag).


I psyched myself up for my best approach on determining his marital status on our lunch date...In an oh-so-worldly-manner, I would say "Doug, I have a question for you that is very important you answer honestly ...are you married?" I prepared myself for his simple "yes" answer, by which I decided that I would maturely finish my lunch, thank him for his honesty and tell him that I wasn't ready to enter into anything complicated. Clean, sweet, good-bye.

May 21st 1996. Were my heart palpitations, shortness of breath and generalized weakness a result of looking into his blue eyes again? Or was meeting him simply, dangerous? Before the waitress took our order, I blurted out..."Hey, I understand you're married." So much for worldliness. I have never been known for my subtlety.

He looked a little lost for words and then said, "We separated in March".

Well Hell.

Life is not so simple after all, now is it? Married? Divorced? Widowed? I was prepared for. Separated? Not so much. Love: Part 6

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!