Whatever Lola Wants...

Tuesday

We are training the only grandchild in this family to call me "Lola". I chose the name because I thought it sounded hip, was easy for a kid to pronounce and was the farthest thing from "Grandma" that I could imagine.
They Call Her Lola

Unfortunately, since choosing "Lola" as my granny-moniker, it has come to my attention that any song ever written about a "Lola" depicts her as someone with serious issues...

Initially it was a fun song by The Kinks that I would belt out as a teenager...I had no clue (and neither did my parents) that it was about a guy picking up a transvestite named "Lola" in a bar...here's the first verse...



"Lola"  
by The Kinks

I met her in a club down in old Soho
Where you drink champagne
It tastes just like Coca Cola, C-O-L-A cola

She walked up to me and she asked me to dance
I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice
She said Lola, L-O-L-A, Lola, L-L-Lola

Well, I'm not the world's most physical guy
But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine
Oh my Lola, L-L-Lola

Then there was the peppy, "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow. Once, a beautiful showgirl, Lola spent her life pining for a lost love...the last verse...

"Copacabana" 
by Barry Manilow

Her name is Lola, she was a showgirl
But that was 30 years ago, when they used to have a show
Now it's a disco, but not for Lola
Still in the dress she used to wear, faded feathers in her hair
She sits there so refined, and drinks herself half-blind
She lost her youth and she lost her Tony
Now she's lost her mind.

OK. Two songs about conflicted people...I can live with that.

But then, the dam burst. When I least expected it...a hauntingly beautiful song heard in a Diet Pepsi commercial recently about yet another "Lola" - a self-absorbed seductress...

Whatever Lola Wants
by Sarah Vaughn
Whatever Lola wants
Lola gets
And little man, little Lola wants you
  Make up your mind to have no regrets
Recline yourself, resign yourself, you're through
I always get what I aim for
And your heart'n soul is what I came for.

Decision-making time. Lola. Should it stay or should it go?

The kid will be talking soon but currently has no idea of what my name is - so it buys me a little time. A friend suggested "Jo-Jo". It's closer to my own name and just as easy for a kid to pronounce...

What do you think?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Heather said...

Oh so many things to say about this post!!

First, I think it's hilarious that you should Lola as your alter-ego! Several years ago my book clubs ladies and I started using "special" names when we met at Starbucks and put in our orders. Most of our names are kind of blah, so we decided to spice it up. My name of choice: Lola! Seriously! Hilarious!

Second, I think an alternative to Grandma is a great idea. When my mom became a grandma last August, I tried to convince her to teach Madi to call her something else because although my mom will be 60 in October, she definitely doesn't look it. I felt like she needed something more youthful. Her response was, "I waited a long time to get to be called Grandma!"

My name suggestion to her was "Bella". It means beauty in Italian and it's very easy for a little one to say.

Those are my two cents. ;-)

Catherine Brummet said...

Don't let a few songs change your mind. I love Lola. But if you change your mind go with Jo-Jo because if you change to Ya-Ya that defeats the purpose since Ya-Ya is just another word for Grandma. Personally my granddaughter calls me grandmama and I like it.

Janet said...

I love the name Lola....don't care what the songs say. :)

My friends kids all refer to me as JanJan. The funny thing is several different sets of kids chose this name without knowing that the others chose it as well. So JoJo would work for you too.

Dad's mom was Baba and mom's mom was Nana...so JoJo could work. :)

Whatever she calls you...she's lucky to have you on her side. ;)