Weight Loss Wednesday: Week One

Wednesday

It's been one week since I have committed myself to losing twenty pounds by changing my lifestyle and ...
  1. Entering every morsel that touches my lips into my (free) phone app called "Spark People". (They're also free online at www.sparkpeople.com)
  2. Exercising - when I can. Hey it's better than what I had been doing...nothing.
  3. Reporting back to you weekly on my progress - or lack thereof.
Drumroll please... for one who has been known to literally starve herself as a youth, thereby totally screwing up her metabolism, all in an effort to meet AmeriCanadian standards of "beauty" - I am proud to say that in this past week, I've eaten myself silly, exercised moderately and lost two whole pounds! It may not be a big deal to some, but it's huge for me. Especially the part about eating myself silly.

Believe me, I am so not a fan of "fat-free" salad dressings, melba toast or waving off the dessert cart. I really like food. That being said, last Saturday I ate 2 pieces of Tres Leches Cake (660 calories) and a couple of decent sized Rice Krispie Treats (350 cals) in one sitting. Gone was the guilt of years gone by, I simply entered my calories and sucked up the fact that I would have to have a supper that was less than 200 calories in order to stay under my limit for the day. I chose an iceberg lettuce wedge with Litehouse Blue Cheese Salad Dressing (80 cals/2 Tbsp), Litehouse Blue Cheese (75 cals/Tbsp), 1 tsp Bacon Bits and tomato. Big on flavor - low in calories. Win-win. Was the Tres Leches cake and Rice Krispies Treats worth the meager supper? You bet they were.

Stuff I have learned about food choices this week:
  • Summer is a great season for dieting lifestyle changes. Peaches, Mangoes, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, and Strawberries rule.
  • Want a cracker? Try a Sugar Snap Pea first. I'll bet it's the crunch you're really looking for. If not, try 98% fat free popcorn with a couple of sprays of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray if that doesn't do it for ya...go ahead, eat the freakin' cracker.
  • Didja know that one gallon of water weighs a little over 8 lbs. Therefore an increase of just 2 glasses of water = 1 pound. Cut yourself a little slack at the scale and don't let it dictate how you feel daily. Weigh once a week only.
  • Litehouse Salad dressings and Ken's Lite Salad dressings rock. Try Litehouse Caesar and/or Blue Cheese, Ken's Lite Asian, Honey Mustard, Rasberry Walnut.
  • Freeze grapes.
  • Light and Lively Vanilla Yogurt (80 cal) drizzled over Fresh Strawberries is the bomb.  

Stuff I have learned about exercise this week:
  • It prevents blood clots.
  • I made it a little easier by listening to a book on my MP3 player.
  • I joined a cheap Gym with air conditioning and Elliptical machines.
  • I don't exercise every day, just the days that SparkPeople tell me to.
  • I have started an exercise "Vision Board" to help motivate me.

 So, how are ya'll doing?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Tonya said...

Those are some great tips! I don't even bother with fat free salad dressing because I feel it is more sugar than regular. I'm not dieting anymore but I am in the maintenance phase. I started my diet last September and have lost 40 pounds. Exercise is a struggle for me. I hate it. I didn't do Weight Watchers or anything like that but just came up with my own way of eating and tracking. I love Sparkpeople. I used Livestrong (very similar to SP) this time around. I typed up a whole blog post about my diet if you are interested.

http://wherehaveallthehobosgone.blogspot.com/2011/05/anatomy-of-diet-part-1-skeleton.html

keri said...

Wow. You are my hero. You have obviously given this a lot of thought and planning as we know is a huge part of it. I lost 25 and still have more to go, but I tend to keep eating the same thing every day and get so bored and splurge. Oh well, I know you'll do extremely well. You look terrific to me just the way you are. thanks for coming to ACWYS. See you soon, Keri

joanyspot said...

Thanks ladies. In an ongoing effort to preserve what little youthfulness that I may have left...here's to losing 18 more lbs!