My Rob:Part 2

Saturday

 Rob and I were cut from the same cloth. 

He was the friend I needed.
When I needed him most.

Strange how having someone in your life when you need them most, happens. Rob died, and then Mr. Something entered it.

One door closes and another opens.

I remember the day that I fell in love with "My Rob". We would frequently refer to each other possessively. I was "My Joan" to him. I'm sure there is some sort of psychological-thing attached to that but...whatever. Anyway, one day I had come home from work and there was a message left on my answering machine from Rob and Steve. I don't remember the message at all except that before they hung up Rob said, "I love you".

A friend saying "I love you" is not a  big deal to a lot of people out there, but to me it was huge. I was a thirty-something, single woman living in a world where I admit I had some trust issues - especially with men. How rare is that? Not very. I saved his message and replayed it over and over again.

He was the friend I needed.
When I needed him most.

So he was a gay man. In retrospect I believe my closeness with him taught me to trust and eventually allow myself to be open to the love of a straight guy.

He was the friend I needed.
When I needed him most

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!