What to wear in NYC...in summer

Saturday

This Public Service Announcement is for those who may be wondering about what to wear in New York City in the summer.

A few weeks ago, in preparing for a four-day weekend in Manhattan, I had to decide on what I needed to pack. My trip was going to be a "touristy". Yankee Stadium for a baseball game, shopping, attending a storytellers event in a bookstore, low key dinners. A dress and heels were not necessary.


I googled ..."What to wear in NYC in summer/NYC Fashions/What to pack for NYC summer". My ultimate goal was to not look like a tourist. The results?

I ended up looking like a tourist.

I've since made peace with that.

Know that if you are visiting New York City, you will be doing a lot of walking and that the subways are (ahem) dusty. In my opinion, high heels and white pants really shouldn't make it into your suitcase but if you must...you must. Also - I've never been one for flats (not enough arch support) but they are great and easy to pack if you are comfortable in them.

A few of my packing rules...
  • Everything must fit into a carry-on bag
  • A pre-determined color pallette (ie: black/white) cuts down on dragging along several pair of shoes etc. 
  • Stack clothing then roll.
  • Only take very comfortable shoes.
My basic list for long-weekend travel-packing anywhere includes...
  • Sneakers
  • Jeans
  • 3 blouses
  • underwear
  • 2 black T-shirts
  • 1 black pair of pants
  • comfortable wedge-heeled sandals
  • sleepwear
  • 3 pr thick socks
  • black plain yoga pants
  • lightweight backpack
  • over-the-shoulder handbag
  • umbrella 
Another tip? Get a professional to blow dry your hair the day before you leave. Use a dry shampoo while you are in the city and your 'do' should last the weekend.

There you have it. I did end up buying a pair of shorts as the heat and humidity was unexpected but overall, I was outfitted.

All bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning in Times Square, armed with my "Top 10 New York" guidebook in hand, camera poised, wearing a backpack and sneakers really said it all.


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!