American Citizenship

Thursday

The Avenue in the Rain
Childe Hassam 1917
Loyalty is paramount in my book. I can forgive most anything but being disloyal. And that was why it took me so long to become a US Citizen.

As a US law-abiding, tax-paying, Canadian-born foreigner, I am ready to fully embrace the land I have called "home" for the past 37 years. Canada was my first love, and always will be - but it was time to make a commitment to the US.

To solemnly recite The Oath of Allegiance ..."I hereby declare on oath, that I entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen..." Was powerful and sobering for me. I didn't take it lightly.


I prepared myself for this day by studying US History and Civics, watching the complete mini-series..."John Adams", Steven Spielberg's, "Lincoln" and HBO's "Truman" amongst other documentaries on US government, politics and history. 

After educating myself to the best of my ability, and wearing my friends and relatives out - on US trivia, I was left with one resounding question..."What's up with The Electoral College and why do we still have it"? 
(I'll save that topic for another post).


Up, at the crack of dawn and feeling ready to be interviewed and tested by Homeland Security was somewhat nerve-wrecking but Officer Kurtz was pleasant and professional. My citizenship test was administered verbally and I must say - I was on fire!

The Naturalization Ceremony was inspiring and emotional.




I consider it to be an honor, a privilege and a responsibility to become a Naturalized US Citizen.


Thank you America, for providing this immigrant with an opportunity for a terrific life, great job, wonderful friends and for helping me find my incredible American husband.
It has been a great ride !

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!