"The Knife and Gun Club" - Part 5

Friday


I hadn’t planned on what I would say if Anna Baxter called me.

After introducing herself, she told me she had received my letter and that she, Michael’s mother and sister would like to meet with me. The date was set for Sunday at an African ladies dress shop that Michael's mother owned, on lower Greenville Avenue.

I arrived a little nervous but the three ladies were very welcoming towards me. We sat together in the reception area of the shop. A little boy was about 10 feet away from us, busy coloring in a book.

With all eyes on me, I began… “I’m sure you’re wondering why it has taken me so long to contact you.”

I went on to explain my apprehension of becoming involved in family matters that may not be of my concern and also the real possibility of being drawn in to a criminal element, given the circumstances of Michael’s death.

“But, I also know…” addressing Anna directly, “…that I would want to know if my husband was in any pain or afraid prior to his death.”

I told them about my conversation with Michael that night and how he denied pain, fear or discomfort. How he seemed so tranquil and certain of where he was going.

Understandably, the ladies cried and expressed relief to know that Michael didn't suffer, they thanked me and hugged me.

Anna asked me if I had been contacted by the police, as on the day she received my letter, the police called to tell her the men who had killed Michael had been apprehended. I couldn't help but think the loose ends had all come together except, before leaving, I knew I had to honor Michael’s only request of me…“tell Cameron.” 

I said, “There is one more thing that I have to tell you. On the night that Michael died, I asked him if there was anyone that I could call for him and he said, ‘tell Cameron’.” Within seconds, the little boy, who had not taken his eyes off of his coloring book during my entire visit, raised his head and looked at me.

I knew who he was, instantly.

Anna tearfully introduced she and Michael’s 4 year-old son, "Cameron".


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This had me captivated, Joanie. Also gave me cold shivers! You're a wonderful story-teller. Jackie

joanyspot said...

Thank you. I have often thought about Cameron - He should be about 16 or 17 years old now. Oh - and Anna was pregnant when Michael died.