"The Knife and Gun Club" - Part 4

Saturday




“Michael Baxter.” (a pseudonym) His name was spoken loudly and clearly.
Being raised Catholic, I was always on the lookout for ‘a sign’ . This was “a sign”.

Ethical decision-making for me has always been based on a simple premise. How would I want my brother, sister, mother or father to be treated? If my brother had been shot and left for dead on the side of the road, I would want to know if he suffered, if he was in pain or if he was afraid. I would at least want to be offered the opportunity to learn that information.

The following morning I started looking in the Dallas phone book for Michael's address.

I remembered seeing Michael’s driver’s license on the night that he died and recalling that I was familiar with the street he lived on and that it had several apartment complexes on it. I didn’t have an apartment number but when I found his name and address, I decided to write to his wife anyway…”Dear Mrs. Baxter, I am a nurse in the Emergency Department of Baylor Hospital and cared for your husband, Michael. If you would like to talk with me, I can be contacted at …”

A few days later, the letter came back, un-opened with ‘return to sender’ stamped on it.

I did what I had to do. I re-addressed the letter with Michael's name on the envelope. I felt certain that everybody at the apartment complex knew about the guy who was shot and killed in July. Maybe someone will take the time to find his wife and give her the letter.

On Halloween, my phone rang. It was Anna Baxter and she wanted to meet with me.

Next: 
Knife & Gun Club - Part 5 


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!