There's the bathroom on the right...

Monday


I love to sing. I sing around the house, in the car and - on occasion - I have been known to sing at work. My dad used to say that he loved to hear his kids sing because it meant they were happy. He had a valid point. It's pretty hard to be miserable when you are singing unless you're singing 'the blues' - but even then, I have been known to get a little joy out of 'the blues' on occasion. Case in point:  "The Babysitting Blues" from the movie "Adventures in Babysitting"


Anyway, one afternoon recently while belting out a mean version of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising, I was delicately informed by my musically-oriented husband that the lyrics were..."There's a bad moon on the rise" and not "There's the bathroom on the right"...

OK, so I don't remember lyrics. I happen to know that I am not alone.

Several years ago, an article written for The Dallas Morning News by staff writer Cynthia Sanz spoke to me ... it included several 'garbled' lyrics and I admit my guilt to a few of these, do you?

The 'Garbled Lyric Hall of Shame' ...

Rock the Catbox                                    Rock the Casbah

Bring me an Iron Lung                         Bring me a higher love

I want a new truck                                 I want a new drug

Felix                                                       Feelings

The girl with colitis goes by...                  ...with kaleidoscope eyes

I am 'The Worrier'                                  I am The Warrior

Ham-free                                                Half-breed

Scratch Your Knees                              Tragedy

Every time you go away,                          ...a piece of me with you
you take a piece of meat 
with you...

Don't it make your eyebrows                 ...brown eyes blue?
blue?

JoJo was a man who thought                 ...who thought he was a 
he was a woman                                              loner

Admit it. We've all been there. Yes, I might screw up a song more than the average person but that's just because I break out in song a little more often. I know that every time I get the music in me, I risk ridicule but I'm OK with that. I just keep on singing.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Heather said...

My brother could never remember the words either. He would just make up whatever he thought sounded good. Sometimes he would reinvent entire songs!

Perle said...

Loved "Adventures in ...." and I know where-of you speak about lyrics. It's a good thing I only sing in the shower or car (alone). There was a book some years back with all the oddly mangled song lyrics floating around. Laughed til I cried.