Singing Along

Tuesday

Mystery Science Theater
So, I'm sitting in my local movie theater the other day enduring the pre-movie slide presentation when I notice amongst the ads for local dentists, realtors and laser hair removal salons, an invitation to "Come Sing-Along with Julie Andrews and The Sound of Music!"

OK. Let me get this straight. As a special one-night event, the movie theater is going to show the original "The Sound of Music" starring Julie Andrews. Everyone is invited to come and sing-along!

Don't get me wrong - I'm the first one to admit that I love a good sing-along (There's the Bathroom on the Right) but I am having a little trouble wrapping my head around sitting in the dark, surrounded by other strange singers,  and bursting out into..."Climb Every Mountain..."

Cringing at the thought of a crowd singing their own versions of "Edelweiss...", I understand that the lyrics will be displayed on the movie screen - thank God for small favors. Hopefully, the words will be spelled phonetically.


My question is...Who will get the party started?

I, for one have a hard time imagining that if I attended this screening, I would be the first confident sing-along-er to belt out, "The hills are alive, with the sound of music....la, la, la, la...." at full volume.

Will there be a leader? Someone in the front of the theater with a  little stick in their hand to help everyone with the tempo, perhaps?


At first, I blew off the notion of attending this event. Who in their right mind would want to sit in the dark with a bunch of strangers and sing? And then it hit me. OMG. It would be hysterical!

My plan is to call the theater to find out when it's showing and recruit other singers to join me. I can't do this one alone.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Heather said...

How long do you think it would take me to get to Dallas? Sign me up! Sing-a-longs are ALL about singing along BADLY. Otherwise, what's the point of them?

That sounds like a hoot! Let me know how it goes!

Barbara/Bobbie said...

Picture this...circa 1965 - Toronto...I was six years old (and you were nine) and you took me to see my very first movie in a movie theatre! It was The Sound of Music!! I will never forget that experience...I'm not sure we had colour TV in those days but I remember the grandeur of it all...the colour, the singing, the nun. Too bad I didn't live closer I'd go with you to sing and you could wear ear plugs...or sit at the other end of the theatre...lol