As Luck Would Have it...

Saturday


Torrential downpours. Tornado alerts. Lightning. Thunder. Flood warnings. That about sums up your typical Texas rainy-day experience.

My cozy memories of growing up in Canada, spending what seemed as endless grey, rainy days curled up in front of a window with a good book are long gone. Here, I am strongly advised to stay clear of windows and seek immediate shelter as I gawk at hail stones the size of baseballs. It's been like this in Dallas for as long as I can remember. Rainy or sunny. Not much in between. Oh, we will get a little ice on occasion in winter, but it is usually gone by the time the sun comes out. So, when the weather report issued a "Severe Thunderstorm Warning" a couple of weeks ago, I barely raised an eyebrow.

Despite the suggestion of my "retired-firefighter-paramedic-husband-who-is-always-right", not to "drive in this shit", I chose to meet a girlfriend for lunch. Who's afraid of a little rain?
About ten miles from home, my 'inner voice' advised me to exit the highway until the rain died down.

As if.

Within minutes of ignoring my internal warning, my little car spun out of control, crashing into the concrete barrier separating me from the oncoming traffic.

My first thought was ..."I'm alive".
My second thought ..."Not for long".
The 70+ mph traffic was heading straight for me in the pouring rain.

Remembering the advice of  my "retired-firefighter-paramedic-husband-who-is-always-right", not to get out of a disabled vehicle on the highway, I stayed inside and called 911.
 
I consider myself to be very lucky. It could have been so much worse.

From this experience, I assume a healthier respect for my 'inner voice', Mother Nature and for my "retired-firefighter-paramedic-husband-who-is-always-right".


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Heather said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you came out of that ok!!