The Surprise Retirement Luau... The Party

Friday

The Ruse:
Our friends, "BobKat" were having a Luau and "yes" we had to go. On the day of the party, I had Mr. Something's third talented son, Brent keep him occupied.

As I drove forward, past the stream of parked cars, ignoring my husband's yammering advice on where I should park and why, the party-goers greeted us with raised glasses. He still didn't get it. I had to tell him, "Honey, this party is in your honor, look around at who's here." to which he responded "You've got to be shitting me" and put the car in reverse.

The Hosts
 "BobKat" - great friends, and as close to 'family' as we could ever ask for.
The Help 
Friends and family arrived 3 hours before the party started to cut fruit, blow up balloons, make salad, prepare appetizers, etc.
The Hula Girls 
 Arrived prior to the party start time for traditional Lei greeting of the guests, followed by a beautiful Hula performance.
Other Luau Activities: 
Trophies were awarded for "Best Lei 2012"
  as well as the short-lived Hula Hoop contest...
the winner ended up receiving his for being
 "Most Persistent".
The party lasted well into the night. 
The following morning, we received the ultimate compliment from our niece's FB post...
"I had tons of fun at my uncles retirement party! I'm only just leaving... And there are still a lot of people there... I thought old people were supposed to go to bed early!"
As if.



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Heather said...

It looks like you all had a great time and that he was a good sport despite his initial lack of enthusiasm. You can certainly put on a party, Joan!

Some day we should do a special double birthday party! Although maybe planning your own party wouldn't be so much fun.

Thanks so much for sharing!

joanyspot said...

Heather, it was a blast. When is your 40th? Maybe we can work something out.