Technology - Gotta Love It

Tuesday

I am 30,000 feet in the air and en route to Las Vegas.
Sometimes, the sheer awesomeness of the world I live in rises up and slaps me in the face. This is one of those times.

A few minutes ago I was somewhat frustrated at not being able to watch the most current episode of  "The Office" on Hulu as my in-flight wifi connection was not fast enough. So I decided instead, to update my blog. Then it struck me... Technology and I have grown up together.

It all began in high school with an invention called "the calculator". OMG it added, subtracted, multiplied and divided. Whoa Nelly! The hot debate at the time amongst high school administrators was whether or not bringing a calculator into math class should be declared "cheating".
 
Then came "The Epilady". A barbaric, handheld electric little gizmo that was outfitted with wire coils. When turned on and placed firmly against your skin, it would literally pull your hair out by its roots. I swear to God. The pain was excruciating and I still wince at the thought of it.

Next was "The Mobile Phone". Mine was about the size of a liter bottle of Coke and weighed about as much. But despite its clunkiness - I loved it.
Just look at the smile on my face ...kidding.

When I learned of "The Internet" I had no idea of its capability. I recall saying to my friend Rob... "Rob, did you know that in the future, with the internet, I could send you a message and you could send me one back...on our computer?"

Search engines like 'Google' and 'Ask.com' were just too much for my little mind to embrace .I actually thought that there were people, possibly a group of researchers that were perched in front of their computers at the ready to answer any obscure question. Boy, did I feel stupid when I found out that technology was responsible for the response.

So, as I publish this post, I am humbled. And I like it

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

julia said...

I remember hating the debate over whether it was okay to use a calculator in class. It's not like people can't just reach for a calculator when they need to do math outside of the classroom.